Hot Cross “Buns” Recipe
Easter – the smell of freshly baked hot-cross buns and the boxes of chocolate eggs filling your supermarket shelves. Only one problem – they’re not very paleo.
Well like you, we here at Healed by Bacon also enjoy the odd Easter treat. But, chances are, a hot cross bun won’t have you hopping around like the Easter bunny. So we have come up with the perfect recipe as a great alternative.
Makes 8 “buns”
- 1kg of pork, chicken or turkey mince
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 8 slices of bacon, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for greasing
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves These amounts of spices are just guidelines – if you like more cinnamon and less cloves, make the change – experiment!
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the bacon and coconut oil. Mix until combined.
- Grease an 8 whole muffin tray with the coconut oil and fill with the mixture.
- Place 2 half slices of bacon in a cross shape on the top of each “bun”.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20mins or until meat is cooked.
- Cool and eat!