Spices are not just there to enhance the flavour of our food (or stain everything in the case of turmeric), they contain therapeutic properties too – helping us to heal and enhance our wellbeing.
Ayurveda is the ancient medical practice of preventing diseases through food and lifestyle choices. Ayurvedic medicine has been practiced since 5000 BC and the name literally translates to “the science of life”. According to Ayurvedic principles, turmeric is an all-round wonder spice – the king of the kitchen.
The active chemical component in turmeric is curcumin. Curcumin is a heavy duty antioxidant that reduces histamine levels to protect our bodies from arthritic, inflammatory, hepatotoxic and allergy causing material. So not only does turmeric stain our teeth, plates and everything else it comes in contact with – it can actually help us heal.
But how, we hear you ask – well:
- Turmeric reduces whole body inflammation Through its impact on histamine levels, turmeric can reduce whole body inflammation. This is extremely beneficial for us AI sufferers!
- It improves immunity Turmeric enhances the natural antioxidant functions of our bodies, which in turn, helps to enhance immunity.
- Turmeric enhances digestion Turmeric induces the production and flow of bile, which, whilst sounds gross, helps us break down our food, making digestion easier for our body. This process also helps normalise the metabolism of the food we eat.
- It aids in “women-only” issues Turmeric can actually help initiate regular menstrual cycles and reduce associated cramping.
- Turmeric helps clear toxins Turmeric purifies our blood and cleans the body from toxins. In some cases, turmeric can be used to lessen the effect of a big weekend (if you know what I mean…) on our liver.
The list of benefits turmeric touts also includes regulation of blood sugar levels, stops bleeding, alleviates skin disorders, increases glucose metabolism, improves our respiratory system function and accelerates our healing processes.
In summary – eat turmeric – it’s good for healing!