Easter – the smell of freshly baked hot-cross buns and the boxes of chocolate eggs filling your supermarket shelves. Only one problem – they’re not very paleo.
Well like you, we here at Healed by Bacon also enjoy the odd Easter treat. But, chances are, a hot cross bun won’t have you hopping around like the Easter bunny. So we have come up with the perfect recipe as a great alternative.
This is one of our favourite paleo Easter recipes – we love it so much we’ve decided to reblog it.
Paleo Hot Cross “Buns” Recipe
Makes 8 “buns”
- 1kg of pork, chicken or turkey mince
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 8 slices of bacon, cut in half (you can make your own home cured bacon here)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for greasing
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves These amounts of spices are just guidelines – if you like more cinnamon and less cloves, make the change – experiment!
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the bacon and coconut oil. Mix until combined.
- Grease an 8 whole muffin tray with the coconut oil and fill with the mixture.
- Place 2 half slices of bacon in a cross shape on the top of each “bun”.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20mins or until meat is cooked.
- Cool and eat!
We hope you enjoy your Easter break! We’re off to explore the amazing food and culture of Japan over the holiday. We’ll be back blogging on the 18th of May.