Removal of or a reduction in your exposure to mould is the first step to recovery. The majority of our mould exposure comes from poor indoor air quality, with exposure to water-damaged indoor environments being the largest contributor.
Here are some things you can do to minimise your indoor mould exposure:
- Fix leaks as soon as possible.
- Dry any damp materials affected by leaks as soon as possible.
- Get rid of any carpets, tiles and any other absorbent or porous materials if they become mouldy.
- Scrub mould off hard surfaces and make sure to dry the area completely.
- Don’t paint over or cover up mouldy surfaces.
- Ensure you have proper ventilation – avoid areas that are “stuffy”.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean.
- Keep indoor humidity between 30 and 50 percent.
- Use air filters and purifiers/sanitizers.
- Ensure the ground slopes away from building foundations, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundations.
Once you have improved your indoor environment, you can start to remove the toxins that have accumulated in your body.
Steps you can take to detox include:
- Take high quality supplements that promote detoxification such as benzene clay, activated charcoal, cholestyramine powder and other binders that bind internal mycotoxins.
- Supplement with glutathione (which is often depleted in toxin-related illnesses).
- Test and treat for candida overgrowth –mould can lead to candida overgrowth.
- Supplement with vitamin B12, methyl-folate, B6 and riboflavin to support methylation.
- Avoid common mycotoxin containing foods.
- Use infrared saunas.
If you’re one of the 28% of people in the world who have a genetic susceptibility to mould, you may be unable to remove the toxins that have accumulated in your body. Unfortunately, this means that you can help to stop the build-up of these toxins in your body, but you will have difficulty removing them.
In our next article, we’ll talk about mouldy foods.