Homemade Mayo Recipe
Unfortunately, due to the large scale production and subsidization of seed oils, we are hard pressed to find mayonnaise which doesn’t contain inflammatory seed oils. Even the ‘Olive Oil’ and ‘Whole Egg’ varieties are predominantly made with seed oils!
However, you can have your mayo and eat it too by making it yourself! This recipe will take you 10 minutes tops (even less if you use an electric beater) and I guarantee, once you make mayo yourself, you will never look back!
Oh just a quick note before you begin; this mayo is slightly runnier than commercial varieties but don’t be alarmed by this as store-bought mayo’s use industrial thickeners to provide the thicker texture.
- 1-2 Free Range, Organic Egg Yolks – I use 2 as I love the richness this provides (you can use the egg whites to make our Low-carb Marshamallows)
- Good Squeeze of Lemon
- ¾ – 1 Cup of Macadamia, Avocado or Olive Oil (Macadamia and Avocado are best as they saturated and monounsaturated but also provide a neutral flavor)
- 1-2 Teaspoons of Dijon Mustard (check for any nasties)
- Celtic sea salt (to taste)
- Place egg yolks and mustard in a bowl and whisk to combined
- Once well combined, add lemon juice and whisk
- Whilst whisking, slowly pour in oil in a slow, steady stream
- Continue until you have poured in ¾ cup of oil
- Check consistency (if too runny, you may need to add the remaining ¼ cup of oil)
- Once you’re happy with the consistency, add salt to taste and you’re done!