Keto Bread Recipe
Ok, so we don’t normally advocate paleo-fying addictive foods (like cakes, pancakes etc. because of the unhealthy relationship we can develop with doing so), but sometimes you just need to eat a piece of bread.
Here’s our recipe for keto bread that won’t leave you feeling bloated or running to the toilet (and since it is keto, it is grain-free – meaning you’ll also be avoiding that nasty substance called gluten).
- 6 eggs, separated (preferably from organic, free range chooks),
- ½ cup grass-fed whey protein powder (we like to use Greg Newson’s New Zealand Whey Protein Isolate),
- 1 teaspoon of Celtic sea salt,
- A large amount of grass-fed butter to put on the bread once it is baked!!,
- Plus some baking paper to line the loaf tin.
- Remove all of the oven racks except for the lowest one (not bottom, because you want the bread to cook evenly, but you need to remove the other ones as the bread expands when it bakes) and preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Separate the eggs and add the whites to a bowl. Use an electric mixer on high until very stiff peaks form (if you don’t beat them enough the bread will sink when baking and instead of fluffy bread you’ll get a dense, styrofoamy mess).
- Once the eggwhites are stiff, add the protein powder, salt and egg yolks and gently mix to combine. The batter should still be fluffy and light.
- Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Once baked, allow the bread to cool completely (as hard as it is!) and then smother in butter and eat!
Note: If we are getting really technical (or pedantic) the cholesterol in the egg yolks may become oxidized at the temperature the bread needs to be baked at, and the whey protein might get denatured. This can sometimes cause a little inflammation so, depending how sensitive you and your autoimmune condition is, you probably don’t want to eat the bread everyday…but hey, if you are eating this bread instead of the gluten-riddled store bought bread, you’re on the right track!!